Wednesday, July 20, 2011

My Bread Recipe....



Last summer, my friend Brooke would always tell me how easy it was to make bread. At the time, I seriously couldn't even get Rhodes rolls to come out right. It was dang annoying. Soooo... she came over and I whipped out the $0.18 bosch. (remember that? I still can't even believe it!) She gave me her tried and true delicious bread recipe and helped me make it that first time. I have made this bread at least 100 times since and I haven't even messed it up once (which is a dadgum miracle, I tell ya!!)  I get asked for her recipe a lot and thought I would share! :)

Anyone have a good wheat bread recipe? My inlaws gave us a wheat grinder last Christmas and I have yet to whip it out.

Oh and if you are now remembering that I am allergic to gluten and wondering why I am posting about delicious bread when I shouldn't be touching the stuff, well... let's just say I just deal with the annoying consequences. It is awful I tell ya, but what is more awful is dealing with these blasted pregnancy cravings/feeling like I have to eat non-stop or I am going to die and wanting nothing but gluten filled goodness/cheeseburgers. Yeah, its a lose lose situation. 

(You can make this in a Bosch mixer or you can half it and make it in a Kitchen-Aide. I tried making the full recipe in a Kitchen-Aide and my mixer literally fell off my counter onto my tile. Luckily, my tile survived but the mixer has a big ole' paint peeling off dent in it!!) 


Okay now onto the recipe!
(this is the whole 4 bread loaf recipe)
  • 10 1/2 C white flour (it says to use bread flour but I have used all-purpose and can't tell a difference)
  • 1/2 C Sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon Salt
  • 3 rounded Tablespoons instant yeast
  • 3 Tablespoons Liquid Lecithin*
  • 4 C Hot Tap Water
Mix dry ingredients in mixer. Add lecithin and water. Mix for 1 minute and check consistency. If dough is too dry, add more water. If dough is too moist, add more flour. (The dough should be barely sticky to touch) Mix for 5 minutes on high. (Do not add water or flour to the dough after it has finished mixing.) Spray counter and pans with Pam. Shape loaves* and cover with a dish towel. Preheat oven to 350" and let raise for 25 minutes. Bake at 350" for 25 minutes. 


*Squeeze or pour approximately 3 Tablespoons of Lecithin directly into the bowl. Do not measure. It is a sticky sticky mess if you do! (Tara's tip- take your tablespoon and push it into the flour making 3 Tablespoon sized dents, then pour in the Lecithin) Oh and you can find Lecithin at any health food store. Whole Foods, Good Earth, etc. It comes in a big bottle for around $8.

*To shape the loaves, I have my big mound of dough on my Silpat baking mat. I cut it in half (using my hands) into 2 big even balls of dough. Then I cut those dough balls in 2 smaller balls. I flatten each one into a circle and fold the sides in like you are folding a burrito. Then roll it up and place each loaf seam side down! 


Any questions, ask away! It is seriously sooo easy and sooo delicious! Spread a little Cinnamon Sugar Spreadon it, and you will be in heaven! :)

5 comments:

Catrina said...

This blog entry made me cry Tara! Your kid are so lucky to have parents like you and braun and they're(all 3 of them) are so blessed to have you! I hope when they grow older they'll realize how much you adore them! I wish I had parents like you when I was emery and annistens age, honestly

The Baldwin's said...

I loved this and I'm getting online fr those journals right now, I've been putting them off and it ends right now! Ps we love culvers. A little too much.

tahnee said...

i loved this post so much tara! you are such a great mom and your kids are so cute :) ive missed not hanging out with you guys this summer! congrats on being pregnant!

mr & mrs O. said...

You are such a wonderful mom, I hope I'm as cute with my little ones as you are. I love watching you with them, anyone watching for more than a second would see how much you love and respect those girls. I think there are many parents who get carried away with saying ''no'' all of the time and getting bossy rather than enjoying parenthood and respecting their children.
LOVE the cute tiny belly pictures! you are adorable, can't wait to see you in another month or so!

Brittney said...

That bread looks so good! Your girls are adorable, too. Congratulations on your one on the way!

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...